Snacking. Not only do we all do it, but we all LOVE to do it. Rifling through our fridge and pantry to find something to curb our appetite may not be fun, but indulging in our snack sure is.
Unfortunately, if you’re like the rest of the world, you’re trying to minimize your intake of unhealthy foods and watch what you eat.
But sometimes eating healthy is not easy, especially when it comes to snacks. It seems like every healthy snack option requires either too much preparation or is made up of ingredients you’ve never heard of before.
So instead of caving in to the bag of potato chips, it’s important that you understand that not all healthy snacks require hours of preparation or nonexistent food items. The following is a list of five easy and healthy snacks that you can make in minutes.
1. Nutty Cocoa Bananas
These are not your average snack, but they’re super easy to make, super tasty and are only 80 calories per serving.
• 2 bananas, sliced
• 4 tsp cocoa powder
• 4 tsp unsweetened coconut
1. Place cocoa on one plate and coconut on another.
2. Dip a banana slice into the cocoa until covered.
3. Dip the same cocoa-covered banana slice into the coconut.
4. Repeat until all banana slices are complete.
2. Strawberry Nut Flatbread
If you enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, this Strawberry Nut Flatbread is going to make your taste buds and your waistline happy.
• 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
• multigrain flatbread cracker
• ½ tbsp. honey
• 2 strawberries, sliced
1. Spread the peanut butter onto the multigrain flatbread.
2. Place honey on top of peanut butter.
3. Cover the honey with sliced strawberries.
3. Apples & Cottage Cheese
This recipe is one of the easiest that you’ll find, but it’s also extremely tasty.
• 1 apple
• ½ cup cottage cheese
1. Slice the apple into wedges.
2. Put cottage cheese in a bowl.
3. Eat separately or dip apple wedges into cottage cheese.
If you want to make this snack a bit easier, you can cut the apple up into smaller pieces and place it directly into the cottage cheese.
These tiny nuts are often overlooked as a healthy food, but these little buggers only rack up 150 calories if you eat 45 of them.
1. Place pistachios in a bowl.
2. Remove shell and devour.
5. Homemade Trail Mix
Yes, buying and eating the trail mix from the store would be easier, but that trail mix is generally filled with large amounts of salt, which can hinder your healthy eating lifestyle. Instead, opt to use this homemade recipe.
• 1 cup whole grain cereal
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
1. Mix cereal, cranberries and walnuts together into a large bowl.
Contrary to popular belief, eating a healthy snack does not have to be expensive or time consuming. These five recipes are extremely healthy and very easy to make, allowing you to spend more time doing the things you enjoy instead of preparing snacks.
Lauren Williams is a health specialist. She enjoys blogging about healthy snacks, recipes, and quick meal ideas in her spare time.